Thursday 7 June 2007

Paris- Feast for the eyes and tummy

My visit to the Musee d’Orsay deserves a separate post as it really blew me away! What a feast for the eye! I don’t think I have ever seen so many famous paintings in their original and raw form in one place. And to top it off, Degas’s bronze ballerina with her chiffon tutu, brought up the d’Orsay’s rating on the favourites list several notches. It was a real treat to see her standing in that glass cabinet.


Paris was not only about the sights, but it was also about the food. I wouldn’t figure out until the end of our time in Paris but Mum and Aunty Kew’s passion was to pursue the best food, any place we landed. In Paris we really treated ourselves to the fine bread (the French consider bread-making “an art”), savoury crepes, sweet glazed strawberry tarts, chocolate macaroons, croissants, baguette sandwiches, handmade chocolates and fresh strawberries… Herlina also cooked us a very French dinner of duck in orange sauce and escargots (snails, and yes, they are your average garden snail!). I guess the 7 floors of stairs meant we could afford to eat all this stuff and not put on any weight!

I want to finally mention that while I was browsing Paris's uber hip fashion and design store, colette, Mum and Aunty Kew escaped down the road to join the line of (what looked like) a very popular boulangerie. They had no idea what was inside, so they had to wait in line to see what they could purchase. They bought some treats for themselves and the biggest chocolate macaroon I have ever seen! It even had a thick layer of chocolate mousse inside!


What's the line for?




The biggest chocolate macaroon (about the size of my hand)




Mum's favourite boulangerie for its almond bread




A strawberry tart