Wednesday 17 October 2007

Discoveries Down at Quayside

Sunday morning was such a glorious autumn day. The Quayside Markets were in full swing when I popped down to the water to check out the action.



I leisurely perused the stores which were a mixture of food, craft, jewellery, clothing and accessories.



I have to say that the local food provedores out do the other stores. To prove it I came home loaded with bags of organic bread, fudge, chocolate and sweets!

I quite enjoy organic food. I find the process quite fascinating and am an avid supporter of being able to grow food and keep animals without using pesticides and chemicals (especially after watching The Corporation!). I bought a loaf of herb and sea salt bread from North Country Organics and consumed the whole thing today (ah, the joys of living alone).



There were several sweet stores, but the stand out was Robsons of Durham.



For a pound a bag, with 100’s of sweet varieties available, I was the kid in the candy store, especially when I found these!



I was brought right back to my childhood days when we used to ‘smoke’ these chocolate cigarettes! I have not seen these sweets in years. I’m guessing it isn’t really socially responsible to introduce children to smoking, but gee we did have fun pretending to puff! I couldn’t resist picking up a few packets for sentimental reasons. The chocolate is not half bad either. If you look closely, you’ll notice that the sweets are made in France. I wonder if this says anything to why almost everyone in Paris smokes?

I also visited the nice lady at the fudge shop. She makes all the fudge herself and has unique flavours such as Malteser fudge, which has balls of chocolate covered malt among the thick, chocolate fudge. Yum!



Finally, I couldn't resist taking a photo of this musical trio. I was left amused by the big guy, tiny guitar and sailors hat!



I have been mentioning the Designs of the Time (Dott 07) programme a bit on this blog. Starting Tuesday for 2 weeks, the Dott Festival will showcase the programme’s projects and work that have happened over the past 2 years. The programme’s intent was to use design and designers to help local communities improve and/or solve issues they face today eg. Issues in health, transport, tourism etc. While you may ask, ‘But how?’ I guess that’s what the Festival is all about and also what my research is going to help demystify! I was down at the Festival site yesterday and it was looking awesome. Watch this space for some blogging on the Festival over the next few weeks.



To finish my Sunday afternoon I popped into the Side Cafe for a hot chocolate and some reading. Yes, I know, study on the weekend?!