Friday 20 July 2007

Eating Out in Newcastle

I can’t remember the last time I ate so much (OK maybe in Paris). This past week has been marked by several food moments, beginning with Monday lunch time at Tony and Frankie’s with Kat.

Tony and Frankie’s is a sandwich shop in Newcastle city, where you can find a line, snaking out the door of the shopfront every weekday lunchtime.



About 2 weeks ago, some of the CfDR-ers (Centre for Design Research) took me to this tiny green sandwich shop, with a blackboard of endless sandwich concoctions for around 2.50 pounds. Standing in line, battling with the masses of choice, I was not prepared for what was to land in my hand- a mammoth chicken and sweet corn sandwich on Italian ciabatta bread. So big was this sandwich that I had to eat most of it with cutlery back at my desk!



Anyway, on Monday, Kat and I made a trip to Tony and Frankie’s and enjoyed demolishing the Herculean sandwiches on a bench in the park. The day after, we would continue more food consumption at Kat’s farewell lunch at Wagamama’s.



It was Kat’s last day at the CfDR, as she heads off to become Miss Henderson, a Design and Technology teacher at a Newcastle private school. All of us had a great time, but I think Bo hit the mark with his choice of dish.



To top off the foodie week, last night Kat, Emma, Stuart (Emma’s boyfriend) and I, indulged in some lovely Italian food at Pani’s.



The pasta dishes were so big that I could only eat half of mine (the other half did well to fill me up for dinner tonight)! Even though the dishes were enormous, we couldn’t go past the tempting Italian coffee and dessert.



We rolled out of the restaurant, onto the cobbled street and down to drinks at the nearby bar, Secco, for the very special event of Joyce’s graduation as a PhD student of Northumbria University (hopefully I will be in the same place in 3 years time).

Congratualtions Joyce and all the best for your future endeavours!